Take a peek into the rich Peranakan culture — its unique cuisine, fashion, and even architecture and home decor that are still an important part of contemporary Singaporean traditions.
The Peranakan Museum is a small museum housed in a beautiful architectural schoolhouse built from the early 1900s. It features three floors full of an excellent collection of antiques, textiles, and artifacts. The Museum has 10 permanent exhibitions that give visitors a peek into Peranakan treasures and even daily life.
The Peranakan Museum is located at 39 Armenian St., Singapore.
Opening Days and Hours
The Museum is open every day from 10:00 to 19:00.
Entry Fee and Bookings
- Adult: SGD 6.00 (USD 5) per person
- Group of 20 pax or more: SGD 5.00 (USD 4) per person
- Family max of 5 pax: SGD 20.00 (USD 15.50)
- Concession admission: SGD 3.00 (USD 2.30) per person
How to Get There
- Fly into Singapore via the Changi International Airport.
- Take the MRT, alight at the City Hall Station and take Exit B.
- Head towards Stamford Road and turn left onto Armenian Street.
For the bus, you can opt to take Public Bus 7, 14, 16, 36, 97, 124, 131, 147, 162, 166, 174, 501 Express, 511 Express, 77, 167, 171, 190, 700, 700A, or 857. The nearest Bus Stop is opposite the Singapore Management University.
- Backpackers/solo travelers
- Group of friends
Time to Spend
The average time spent in this attraction is 2 to 3 hours.
Popularity and Best Time to Go
This is an indoor attraction so you can opt to visit any time of the day. On the other hand, the best time to visit Singapore is during the months of February to April, when the weather is not that wet nor hot.
You can visit the Museum’s various galleries:
- Gallery 1: Origins
- Galleries 2-5: Wedding
- Gallery 6: Nonya
- Gallery 7: Religion
- Gallery 8: Public Life
- Gallery 9: Food and Feasting
- Gallery 10: Conversations
You can find a number of dining options near the Peranakan Museum, including SOHO Coffee, Le Bistrot du Sommelier, True Blue Cuisine, Wine Bos, and Lewin Terrace.
- Singapore Philatelic Museum
- National Museum of Singapore
- Civil Defence Heritage Gallery
The closest accommodation options near the Peranakan Museum include Grand Park City Hall, Peninsula Excelsior Hotel, Carlton Hotel Singapore, Hotel Fort Canning, and Strand Hotel. Rates range from USD 68 to USD 200 per night.