Rizal Park is one of Manila’s popular and iconic landmarks.
Previously known as Luneta before its name was officially changed in the 1950’s, it encompasses over 60 hectares of open lawns, paved walks, ornamental gardens, ponds, wooded areas, and a number of monuments glorifying various Philippine heroes. The location also holds historical significance as it is the place where Spanish colonial authorities executed the Philippines’ National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, therefore sparking the Philippine revolution against foreign rule. It is a great place to take a walk and just take a break from the hustle and bustle of Manila city life.
Rizal Park is located along Roxas Boulevard in the Philippine capital city of Manila.
Opening Days and Hours
The park is open daily from 05:00 to 21:00.
Entry Fee and Bookings
Entrance fee costs PHP 50 (USD 0.97) per person.
How to Get There
- Taxis and ride-hailing apps such as Uber and Grab are widely available in Metro Manila (this includes the city of Manila and nearby cities such as Makati, Taguig/Fort Bonifacio, and Pasay)
- Backpackers/solo travelers
- Group of friends
- Families with kids
Time to Spend
You can explore Rizal Park for an hour or less, and you can opt to stay for the Light and Sound Sculptural Tableau that lasts for around 30 minutes.
Popularity and Best Time to Go
The best time to visit Luneta Park is during the mid-afternoon to early evening when the temperatures are generally cooler. Plus, the tableau presentation schedules are during the evenings.
- Martyrdom of Dr. Jose Rizal – Light and Sound Sculptural Tableau:
- Wednesday to Sunday, 19:00 – 19:30 (Tagalog version), 20:00 – 20:30 (English version)
- Guided Day Tour
- Wednesday to Sunday, 1 hour tour with runs from 9:00 to 17:00
- Ballet at the Park featuring Ballet Manila
- Saturdays, 17:00 and 18:00
- Horse-drawn carriage or ‘kalesa’ rides
There are a number of restaurants near Rizal Park that features different cuisines such as Filipino, Asian, and even Western dishes. Choices include:
- Café Ilang-Ilang
- Dragon Noodle House
- Pho Hoa Vietnamese Delights
- Yellow Cab Pizza
- Fort Santiago and Intramuros
- Orchidarium and Butterfly Pavilion
- National Museum of the Philippines
- Manila Ocean Park
There are a number of pensions and hotels near Rizal Park, such as Manila Hotel, Hotel H2O, and Malate Pensionne. Prices range from USD 21 to USD 206 per night.