Another beautiful lagoon worth visiting in El Nido is the Big Lagoon – with its white beaches, tranquil waters, and teeming wildlife.
The Big Lagoon seems to not run out of surprises that are guaranteed to wow visiting guests – from its dark yet beautiful forests surrounding the white beaches, to the shockingly blue and calm waters, and the vast array of wildlife found in the area.
The Big Lagoon is located in El Nido’s Miniloc Island.
Opening Days and Hours
Tour operations start from 09:00 to 16:00 every day.
Entry Fee and Bookings
Big Lagoon is included in the El Nido Island Hopping Tour A, which is inclusive of boat, lunch, life vest, snorkeling gear, and tour guide fee. Breakdown of costs are:
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour A: PhP 1,200 (USD 23.15) per person
- Eco-Tourism Development Fee: PhP 200 (USD 3.86) – good for 10 days
- Kayak Rental Fee: PhP 700 (USD 13.50) – good for the whole day (within tour operating hours)
Total cost is around PhP 2,100 (USD 41)
How to Get There
- From the country’s capital of Manila, you can get to reach the Puerto Princesa International Airport via a 1-hour flight with your preferred airline company.
- From Palawan’s capital of Puerto Princesa, you can reach El Nido via: van (PhP 550 to 600 or USD 10.61 to 11.57 per person, 5 hours travel time), bus (PhP 385 to 480 or USD 7.43 to 9.26 per person, 6 to 7 hours travel time), or Roro bus (PhP 290 to 380 or USD 5.59 to 7.33 per person, 6 to 7 hours travel time).
- The vans are located at the airport or you can ride a tricycle or multi-cab going to Robinson’s mall where the terminal is located. For the buses and Roro buses, you can take a tricycle at the airport going to Junction 1 (PhP 8 or USD 0.15 per person) and ride a multicab going to San Jose Terminal. You can also opt to hire a tricycle going there for PhP 80 to 100 (USD 1.54 to 1.93).
- Once you reach the El Nido bus terminal, you can take a tricycle going to the town centre or straight to your hotel.
- From either the town centre or along Bacuit Bay, you can then book El Nido’s Island Hopping Tour A.
- Backpackers/solo travelers
- Group of friends
Time to Spend
You can opt to stay 1 to 2 hours swimming and exploring the lagoon.
Popularity and Best Time to Go
The best time to visit and enjoy El Nido is during the months of November to May, when the sea is relatively calm and underwater visibility is good.
Food is included in the tour package.
- Small Lagoon
- Matinloc Island
- Simizu Island
- Entalula Island
- Secret Lagoon Beach
Accommodations near Big Lagoon include a number of resorts and inns, such as the El Nido Resorts Miniloc Island, Matinloc Resort, El Nido Resorts Pangulasian Island, and MaryGold Beachfront Inn. Prices range from USD 39 to USD 565 per night.
Good to Know
Bring aqua shoes or any protective footwear to protect your feet from sharp rocks and corals. Practice caution and wear a life vest especially if you are not a strong swimmer. Also consider that the lagoon is not easily accessible during low tide, so kayaks are needed during such instances.