U Thant House
U Thant House is one of the country’s museums commemorating and dedicated to former United Nations Secretary-General U Thant.
The U Thant House served U Thant’s residence in the country in the 1950’s. U Thant served as the United Nations Secretary-General from 1961 to 1971 and dealt with relevant global issues at that time. He met with popular global leaders including John F. Kennedy, Nikita Khrushchev, Charles de Gaulle, Jawaharlal Nehru, and Fidel Castro. To date, the residence serves as a museum, wherein exhibits, public lectures, and high-level discussions regularly take place. A visit to the house will allow you to get a glimpse of U Thant’s life through his personal papers, rare photographs, historic speeches, and videos.
U Thant House is located in 31 Panwa Lane, Kamayut Township, Yangon.
Opening Days and Hours
The house is open every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, from 10:00 to 17:00. It is also closed during holidays such as January 4 (Independence Day) and July 19 (Martyr’s Day).
Entry Fee and Bookings
Entrance fee is optional for the guests, but the museum lists the following suggested fees:
- Adults: MMK 5,000 (USD 3.70)
- International Visitors: MMK 5,000 (USD 3.70)
- Local Students: Free
- Children under 12 years old: Free
- Tour groups and third party groups: MMK 10,000 (USD 7.40)
How to Get There
- You can fly in to Myanmar via the Yangon International Airport (also called Yangon Mingaladon Airport). You can then take a taxi from the airport to the city centre.
- Take a taxi going to the U Thant House. Taxis cost an average of MMK 1,500 (USD 1) to MMK 3,000 (USD 2) for trips within the city.
- Backpackers/solo travelers
- Group of friends
Time to Spend
You can explore the museum in 1 to 2 hours.
Popularity and Best Time to Go
You can visit the museum any time of the day.
You can find a number of restaurants near the museum, including the House of Memories Restaurant, Wai Wai’s Noodle Place, Kipling’s Restaurant, and Sharky’s.
- Yangoods shopping
- Shwedagon Pagoda
- Three Good Spoons
- Inya Day Spa
There are a number of hotels located near the U Thant House, including the Sakura Residence, Winner Inn, Hotel Accord, Guest Care Hotel, Savoy Hotel Yangon, and Sky View Hotel. Prices range from USD 35 to USD 166 per night.